The Road From Here

Proposed Amendment 7 lost in a squeaker yesterday.

Good.

Missouri’s roads and bridges need fixing — badly. And this money was going to help get things moving in that direction (including some bicycle and pedestrian projects). The amendment was the result of many months of trying to figure out the best way to raise money because we soon may not have enough to keep up with maintenance.

MoDOT blew it.

This is one of the very few times I was glad Missouri is a tax-averse state. The proposed sales tax would have been regressive.

What Missouri needs to do is raise its gas tax (ranked 45th in the nation) and create toll roads, specifically along I-70 and I-44. Such taxes would collect money from the people who use our roads most and damage them the most.

But Missouri is a tax-averse state.

So where the crumbling road leads from here is anyone’s guess.

Technorati Tags: , , ,

There was a lot of weird shit from MO that made the NPR news today. Gun stuff, farming stuff, etc.

Posted 06 Aug 2014 at 1:49 pm
  2. Ian Cooper wrote:

If enough people die in bridge collapses, they’ll figure out ways to fix it. Heck, kill a few hundred in a massive collapse and people might actually even pay taxes for it.

Aw who am I kidding. It would need to be someone rich or influential – bridge collapses that kill 1000 Joe Sixpacks won’t do it. What you folks need is for a politician, a corporate bigwig or a movie star to get killed on a bridge – that might just do it.

Posted 06 Aug 2014 at 2:40 pm
  3. khal spencer wrote:

Heck. If 100 people die in a bridge collapse in MO, they will say Obama did it.

Posted 06 Aug 2014 at 2:49 pm

It’s becoming a bit embarrassing living in MO :-(

Posted 09 Aug 2014 at 9:00 am

Recently having driven from Texas to Washington, I can’t say I’m a fan of toll roads. Many are cryptically signed and VERY unfriendly to transients that don’t have the “right” toll tag. I’d much rather have a big gas tax than the confusion of trying to figure how much it’ll cost to drive a toll road.

Posted 11 Aug 2014 at 1:35 pm
  6. Bruce J. Martin wrote:

I’m in favor of more toll roads; I sympathize with Steve’s comments about unfriendly communication/signage, but an increase in gas tax/gallon hurts the poverty and working class harder than it does the wealthy. Consider the unskilled construction worker who pays for his own fuel each week on his pick-up needed for working across town — those gas taxes are a large part of his menial wages.

Posted 19 Aug 2014 at 9:31 pm