Do Not Stop In The Blind Spot

Too many urban bicyclists die each year in entirely preventable right-hook crashes with trucks. How do you prevent it? Proper lane positioning. You should never position yourself to the right of right-turning traffic — even if a bicycle lane channels you into such a position (e.g. such as some lanes in Portland, Oregon do).

Here’s a British video demonstrating the danger. Just translate left to right.

Technorati Tags: , ,

Interesting as far as it goes. What it doesn’t show is how the trailer will override the cyclists as the truck turns, which is a problem I don’t think some cyclists fully comprehend.

I suggest this video, below. It shows that a critical part of making a right turn in a large truck is blocking vehicles from advancing on the trailer’s right. That’s completely opposite of what cyclists do when they overtake a truck on the right in a bike lane.

Posted 20 Nov 2013 at 10:49 am

Khal… Thanks for posting that. An excellent addition to the discussion.

Posted 20 Nov 2013 at 12:24 pm

“…As a professional truck driver, it is your responsibility to make right turns safely…”

May I add this: As a professional bicycle facility designer, it is your responsibility to not design facilities in stark conflict with the above statement.

Posted 20 Nov 2013 at 12:43 pm

If each cyclist got off their bikes and stood them up on kickstands, then if the truck driver got back in and made his left turn, I think that would have illustrated the problem nicely. Of course, I’m not sure the creators of the video would be willing to completely destroy 7 or 8 out of 10 bikes, but it would have made the point nicely.

But as it stands, it’s a good example showing how a truck driver could honestly say that he had no idea there was a problem.

Posted 20 Nov 2013 at 1:40 pm

Khal, thanks for that video! I hadn’t seen that one before. It’s really helpful for an animation I’ve been working on.

Posted 21 Nov 2013 at 8:03 am

You are welcome, Keri. And a big thank you for that long post on Bike Orlando regarding bike laws. I am referring people to it on my own site.

Posted 21 Nov 2013 at 8:34 am

“A bicycle, sir?”

A bit off topic, but I’ve been traveling around the country a lot lately and I’ve run into a few bicycle unfriendly hotels. I’m not sure what their issue is, but I’m thinking Priceline needs a “bicycle friendly” sort feature.

Posted 30 Nov 2013 at 3:07 pm