1-mile Solution in the News

Here’s a short Q & A published in a group of local papers about the 1-Mile Solution.

I keep thinking this kind of encouragement might actually help a few people follow the path I discovered. That path was remarkably smooth to follow.

I did not arrive in Springfield nine years ago already hip to the whole traffic-cycling thing. The flat terrain and grid street system made it easy to stick with it. And then just doing it, experiencing it, and thinking about it led me quite naturally to an understanding that one can drive a bicycle safely in traffic as traffic.

Oh, and bicycle education. Let’s not forget that. I’ve taken both the LAB course and CyclingSavvy. No one is too experienced to take these courses.

So, you see, I do want to increase participation. I’m just picky about how to do that.

Technorati Tags: , , ,

Wow! In the image at the first link, you totally look like John Denver.

Posted 29 Aug 2013 at 6:40 pm

Ian… I’ve lived with that comparison since high school.

Posted 30 Aug 2013 at 8:12 am

Andy, isn’t a helmet with the strap unbuckled as in the photo pretty ineffective? ;-)

Posted 30 Aug 2013 at 10:30 am

Steve … Yes, if I were doing more than posing ;-)

Posted 31 Aug 2013 at 4:00 pm

Posing, but not a poseur, presumably.

Posted 31 Aug 2013 at 11:03 pm

Khal … But probably a poster child.

Posted 02 Sep 2013 at 6:50 am

Nice to see the good press!

I’m currently in Madison WI and it looks like the 1 mile solution would work fine here. Other than a few right turn/hook green bike boxes the cycling infrastructure is really well done.

In terms of bike infrastructure, I’m liking what I’ve seen in Iowa, Wisconsin, and Minnesota, better than Seattle and Portland.

Posted 02 Sep 2013 at 1:47 pm

Andy–Good points in the South County Mail, by the way.

Posted 02 Sep 2013 at 5:55 pm
  9. Kevin Love wrote:

Andy, I followed the link and was rather shocked to read this:

“Cline: We’re all motorists, too”

Did you really say that?

Worse yet, do you really believe that?

Posted 03 Sep 2013 at 7:27 pm

Kevin… In the context of the circulation area, that is largely true. But, yes, more nuance is needed in the larger context of transportation policy. The aged, the young, and many among the poor, for example, are not motorists. So, yeah, not my finest moment in media whoredom.

Posted 04 Sep 2013 at 5:59 am

I would suspect a large fraction of cyclists are also motorists. Nor should one feel ashamed of that. As my good friend John Goody sez, a good woodworker needs more than one tool in the box. I’m not about to try to move our new bed from Albuquerque to Los Alamos on a Big Dummy, although that might make me uber-pure.

When all you have is a hammer, everything starts to look like a nail. That, in a nutshell, is the historic problem with the U.S. transportation system: its single minded devotion to only using one tool, regardless of the job.

Posted 05 Sep 2013 at 9:44 am