Midnight Train to Wilmington

There’s been so much happening since our move downtown that I’ve had very little time to post much here. Actually, what’s happening has more to do with settling into a new routine than it does being busy — although I am busy with some school-related tasks.

I’m leaving today for Wilmington, Delaware to visit my family. My daughter and I are taking the train. I’ll probably post some things about it and other transportation issues as they arise in the context of our trip. Otherwise, I’m on vacation and reserve the right to post nothing at all :-)

I will, however, be using some of my travel time to finish my film comparing bicycling in Springfield, Missouri to bicycling in Amsterdam (a comparison that is problematic at best, but I’m doing it anyway). Yes, the long-suffering project is coming to a close. The midnight ride between Chicago and the coast will allow me the quiet time to focus and edit.

Just in case you forget what I’m talking about, here’s the official trailer:

Technorati Tags: , ,

Forget? I’ve been looking forward to this ever since you first mentioned it. Can’t wait to see it!

Posted 10 Jul 2013 at 5:36 pm
  2. Robert wrote:

I just took the train from Chicago to New Orleans. It’s such a more dignified means of transportation than flying.

Posted 12 Jul 2013 at 1:16 am
  3. Kevin Love wrote:

I’ve frequently travelled from Toronto to Chicago by taking the Lake Shore Limited out of Buffalo.

Very convenient. Get on the train at night, go to sleep in the sleeper car and wake up the next morning as the train is coming into downtown Chicago. I time things so that I finish my breakfast in the dining car just before we arrive.

When we consider that I have to sleep anyway, the train is by far the fastest mode of transportation. Sleep time is converted into travel time.

Posted 12 Jul 2013 at 2:26 pm
  4. Kevin Love wrote:

Speaking of Amsterdam, I see that one of my favourite cartoonists just got back from there. See:

Although my food choices were a bit different, my cycling experience was the same.

Posted 13 Jul 2013 at 8:30 am

Kevin… As is the case with anything in life, one’s experiences will be colored by one’s point of view, i.e. Burke’s “terministic screen.” For a person who is not afraid of sharing the street with other traffic users (e.g. motorists), the cramped lanes of Amsterdam are simply unpleasant when there’s so much room right there in the travel lane. I’m disappointed that Bikeyface thought the infrastructure was “safe.” I found it anything but — largely because the infrastructure in Amsterdam is mostly old 70s-era stuff that even many Americans won’t build these days (e.g. door-zone lanes).

Posted 13 Jul 2013 at 9:17 am

Robert an Kevin… Yep. The train is da bomb :-) While I have trouble sleeping sitting up (too cheap for a sleeper), I instead turn it int productive time. Finished a novel and did about 12 hours of video editing. Time flew :-)

Posted 13 Jul 2013 at 9:20 am

Dang, it sounds like it’s a good time to not be riding a bike in Springfield.

Man on Bicycle Shot in Leg Near Missouri State Campus

I love the Seattle to Portland train.

Posted 19 Jul 2013 at 3:27 pm