Carbon Trace Update

The big move downtown in just a little more than a week away. Although school is out for the summer, I’m going to be very busy getting stuff hauled over the the loft and taking care of other matters related to the move. So things could be a little quite here until the middle of next week. Then again, who knows what I might do. I’ve been asked to write about bicycle infrastructure I like (seeing as how I’ve been vocal about what I do not like). Perhaps I’ll get to that this week. Until then, here’s a picture of my wife checking out the new curtains my daughter is making for the loft.

Technorati Tags:

Nice loft. Love the brick and the arched window!

I can tell you the bike facility I like: the road. Roads are always nice and wide, they’re the safest infrastructure around, they’re everywhere and the government regularly maintains them, all of which is a lot more than can be said for off-road facilities and bike lanes.

Posted 20 May 2013 at 11:19 am

Oh, god….speaking if infrastructure. I have to get myself a shock collar that goes off every time I am tempted to type in http://www.streetsblog.com Why the f*** bother? Its just like running into a room full of mosquitoes and wondering why you come out with bites.

Posted 20 May 2013 at 11:57 am

Sadly, Khal, you’re right. There is no dialogue to be had with those folks. As I just wrote a moment ago on Streetsblog, they are willing to sacrifice cyclists on the altar of increased ridership. I am not.

I feel Streetsblog and groups like them are setting us all up for blowback that could set cycling advocacy back 50 years. If people ever find out that cycling advocacy groups have compromised their safety just to get more cyclists on the road, there’s going to be hell to pay.

Posted 20 May 2013 at 12:09 pm

Cycling groups that advocate actions that compromise cyclists’ safety will be discredited.

Posted 20 May 2013 at 12:14 pm

I hope you’re right, Steve, but so far they seem to have everyone but folks like us fooled.

Posted 20 May 2013 at 12:23 pm

We need a cycling addenum to this: http://www.acsu.buffalo.edu/~whkinney/notevenwrong.html

Posted 20 May 2013 at 12:26 pm

Well, Khal… you left good comments on StreetsBlog, but it’s hopeless. I’ve been mulling whether or not to write something on the gender topic. That fragilista gender nonsense is so offensive but I don’t want to waste my time with a pissing contest in the comments of SB.

I like the “Not Even Wrong” idea. A lot.

Posted 20 May 2013 at 7:03 pm

Everyone … Re: streetsblog et. al. I really think we must argue this specifically in moral terms just as Ian does in the comments here. We must not be shy in pointing out the Machiavellian nature this Devil’s bargain.

Posted 20 May 2013 at 9:44 pm

Sigh…

Posted 20 May 2013 at 10:08 pm

Khal … Why a “sigh”?

Posted 22 May 2013 at 6:46 am

Actually, that was in response to Keri’s post, not yours. I had not seen your intervening post.

“Sigh” because the internal disagreements among cyclists sometimes create more agita than anything I put up with out on the road. Some of the discussions are worth merit, many are just cheap shots and ignorance gone wild.

Posted 22 May 2013 at 8:55 am

Khal … we share the same “sigh” then ;-)

Posted 22 May 2013 at 10:50 am

Andy,

Your place looks really cool! Is it a “loft” in the sense that it’s above a business or another residence or is it a “loft” in the sense that it’s a two-floor unit with a half upper floor?

Congratulations either way, that’s going to fit perfectly with your lifestyle.

Posted 23 May 2013 at 8:42 am

Robert… It’s a loft in the sense of being above a business. Well, above the garage anyway :-) There are businesses (and businesses to be) on the first floor. And, yes, we are quite happy with it. We’ll be moved in on Wednesday. And thanks!

Posted 23 May 2013 at 1:02 pm

Lovely wood floor. Did you refinish it yourself? Congrats on the new digs, at any rate, Andy. I think this major paradigm shift in your living might be worth an article in the Atlantic.

Posted 24 May 2013 at 6:37 am

“WSDOT: Traffic on state roadways at 10-year low”

Our local media is finally paying lip service to the fact that VMT in Washington has been dropping and looks like it will continue to drop for the foreseeable future.

Of course, the big thing our state legislature is debating right now is a new and huge road building package.

Posted 29 May 2013 at 5:49 pm

Hope the move is going well. Thought I’d pass this along.

Sponsored by Bike Cleveland and the Northeast Ohio Sustainable Communities Consortium you are invited to participate in a discussion titled “Transportation as a Civil Rights Issue.” The discussion will outline ways in which our transportation policies reinforce segregation and exacerbate inequality in Ohio. Speakers will explain how minority groups, the elderly and handicapped bear a disproportionate burden for transportation decision making that favors driving over other modes of transportation.

The keynote speaker for the discussion will be Samuel Gresham Jr., former head of the Columbus Urban League and the Ohio Commission on African American Males. Mr. Gresham Jr. is current chair of Common Cause Ohio.

The discussion will take place at CSU’s Levin College of Urban Affairs (1717 Euclid Ave.) at 4pm on June 13th.

Posted 02 Jun 2013 at 9:41 pm