Who’s Wetter? Not Me

Wow. Big-time rain this morning. So I donned my rain suit and rode downtown for a coffee and bagel as usual because, well, rain isn’t stopping anyone else from moving around this morning.

Look miserable?

I guarantee you I arrived dryer than many people today who drove cars, parked in parking lots, and dashed through puddles into offices huddled under tiny umbrellas :-)

Technorati Tags: ,

I love my rain suit. But I can only wear it to stay dry in January. The rest of the year I’d just be trading rainwater for sweat.

Posted 23 Apr 2013 at 9:25 am

Mine is a Bass Pro Shops brand called Worldwide Sportsman. Bass fishermen know how to stay dry :-)

Posted 23 Apr 2013 at 9:31 am

I keep my trusty bike rain cape in my pannier for rainy days. I’m always surprised by how little I need to use it. Even in England, I rarely had to don wet weather gear on my commute. It’s always good to have though. I think people assume I’m wet and miserable, but when the cape comes off I’m as dry as anyone else.

Posted 23 Apr 2013 at 9:33 am

When it is raining up here in BombTown, one wants a cape or rain gear, because rain usually means the temperature is dropping about 20 deg F. Hawaii was like Florida. One was either bathed in warm rain or sweat, and I always preferred rain.

Wool was always great because it stayed warm when wet, unlike a lot of the modern bike stuff. I still have two Protogs wool jerseys that get pressed into service and have been meaning to sew some new waist ties into my old wool tights and knickers. They are more functional and less silly looking than most of my newer stuff. Now, if I could find some source of Protogs wool bike shorts…..

Posted 23 Apr 2013 at 12:29 pm

Wool is great! I’m a big wool advocate. I’ve even contemplated getting specialized bike clothing, as long as it’s wool. That’s a big concession for me, as I’ve never been a fan of the bumblebee look, but wool seems somehow less garish, and I suspect it works better than plastic when it comes to moderating sweat and body temperature.

Posted 23 Apr 2013 at 3:35 pm

I wonder about the relative environmental footprint of wool vs. the raw ingredients that go into spandex. Its a lot of organic chemistry, to be sure. My wool clothing has lasted decades, though; its the elastic bits that usually wear out. Except for the Protogs shorts, which I literally wore the bum off of.

Meena keeps wanting me to donate a sweater I bought at EMS back in 1983, but it still looks and wears great.

Posted 23 Apr 2013 at 5:05 pm

I’ve always been puzzled by people that see me taking off rain gear and assume that I must be “soaking wet.” No, I’m perfectly dry. That’s what rain coats do, they keep you dry.

Posted 23 Apr 2013 at 8:33 pm

I think it may be because the ones that tend to be worn by people who go everywhere by car and who are never out in the elements for more than a minute at a time DON’T keep them dry.

Many outdoor jackets that look like raincoats these days are only ‘showerproof’. More than 5 minutes in anything more than a mild drizzle and they start to leak.

Posted 23 Apr 2013 at 9:30 pm

Ian is right about that. I bought what was supposed to be a “breathable” rain slicker a few years back. The fabric was supposed to swell and keep out rain. That was a laugh. I got caught in a downpour a couple times and was as wet with that coat as I was without it. I think that slicker was not even “showerproof” but perhaps “fogproof”.

The bumblebee look does have its uses. The guy who tried to run me down while he was making a left turn, and stopped at the last minute, said he finally saw me by the bright yellow reflective tape on my helmet and bike. I tend to ride to work using the most garish jerseys in my collection in order to be visible to the bozos in their cages.

I live a hilly five miles from my office, so for much of the year have to towel off when I get to work. If I am going to change clothing at work to look spiffy, then my bike clothing might as well be bikewear. It is designed for biking, so it is comfortable. Bike clothing seems to be like artwork–its in the eye of the beholder. You can love it or hate it, but are rarely ambivalent.

Posted 24 Apr 2013 at 10:01 am