Wait. What? Normal People On Bicycles?

OK, take a look at this picture:

That’s Cody, Ginger, and their son. I just got an e-mail from Cody telling me he and his family have moved to Springfield. They have a bicycle blog called Cycle Like a Stringer.

Good stuff! Check it out.

Technorati Tags: , , ,

1. Kenneth L. Kieser wrote:

The country needs more groups like this.

Posted 23 Apr 2013 at 9:31 am

Presumably most of your readers are “abnormal”?

Posted 23 Apr 2013 at 12:30 pm

Khal… Well, that’s difficult to say ;-)

Posted 23 Apr 2013 at 12:55 pm

Cool blog.

I’m a fan of simplybikeblog.com which is written by a young woman about everyday cycling in Iowa.

Posted 23 Apr 2013 at 8:29 pm

If you stop to think about it – It’s a bad sign that people feel the need to blog about how you can ride a bicycle to get places. LOL

I’m glad you’re getting a little COMO flair in SW Missouri, Andy! : )

Posted 24 Apr 2013 at 7:50 am

Robert, nowdays people can blog about all sorts of normal activities. Cooking, taking photographs, etc. But I agree with you–that Andy talks about “normal” people bicycling somehow transmits that bicycling is still–weird.

Well, off I go to weird my way to work.

Posted 24 Apr 2013 at 7:54 am

Robert and Khal… Well, it still is weird for the larger culture. Blogs such as CT and CLS are partly about fighting the culture. I’m also looking forward to the COMO flair :-) We’ve needed a blog like CLS to round out the coverage.

Posted 24 Apr 2013 at 12:45 pm

I am admittedly not on anyone’s list of those trying to make cycling look “normal”, if normal means everyday street clothing, riding a bike with a covered chain, and trying to look like the guy getting out of his Lexus. As Ian might say, I ride to work or to the co-op looking like a giant bumblebee on two wheels. Perhaps nonconformism is something I inherited from my bohemian mom, a jazz singer in the fifties and sixties back in Western New York.

To cut and paste from your last posting, the bumblebee look does have its uses. The guy who tried to run me down while making a left turn, and who stopped at the last minute, said he finally saw me by the bright yellow reflective tape on my helmet and bike. I ride to work using the most garish jerseys in my collection in order to be more visible to the bozos in their cages.

Plus, I live a hilly five miles from my office, so for much of the year have to towel off when I get to work. If I am going to change clothing at work to look properly spiffy, then my bike clothing might as well be bikewear. It is designed for biking, so it is comfortable.

Bike clothing seems to be like artwork–its in the eye of the beholder. You can love it or hate it, but are rarely ambivalent. Back in graduate school in the ’80’s, my nickname was “Mr. Bicycle”, which I really don’t mind. What I don’t like is the arrogance of some of the bumblebees out there towards normal folks. Its not called for.

Posted 24 Apr 2013 at 1:16 pm

Interesting article. “Bicycle Highways in Northern Europe”

Posted 24 Apr 2013 at 2:39 pm

Khal … The context of one’s bicycle transportation should determine one’s choice of equipment. Methinks your choices are entirely reasonable ;-) My occasional jabs re: clothing are aimed at the weekend sport cyclist on an expensive road bike who hugs the right, admonishes townies for taking the lane, and claims to ride 20,000 miles per year.

Posted 25 Apr 2013 at 10:52 am

Ah, yes. Those bicycles that get 12 miles per gallon city/15 hwy.

Posted 25 Apr 2013 at 12:12 pm

Anytime we can publically show bicycle commuters who are not 50-65 year old white men with beards it’s great for bicycling! LOL

Posted 26 Apr 2013 at 10:35 am