Mobility: Upwards and Otherwise

So it appears that even with an uptick in the real estate market, the whole home-ownership thing is losing its vaunted position at the core of the American Dream.

Add to that what appears to be the end of the American love affair with cars among the Millennial  Generation and you have a potentially massive cultural challenge emerging to 20th-century norms of progress and human happiness.

Our move to a loft in downtown Springfield is now just two months away. We have a buyer for our house. We’re happy with the price. (And I’m even happier about the fact that I have just two months left to endure the drudgery of cutting grass and other annoying home maintenance chores.)

Next up: Huge freaking garage sale — no bicycles for sale; we’re taking them all with us ;-)

Technorati Tags: ,

Grass grows to its preferred height. Why would you cut it?

As for the garage sale; any good rugs and/or sofas? For pickup in late May?

Posted 05 Apr 2013 at 4:15 pm

No rugs, but I will have a sofa (with bed) for sale. Late May is good.

Posted 05 Apr 2013 at 9:36 pm

No listening to your neighbors mow their lawns and tune up the boats outboard motors for you either. It’s been a noisy couple of days around here. My last apartment in the city was far quieter than my current home in the burbs.

Posted 08 Apr 2013 at 6:21 pm

Michael… I think I have pushed my last lawn mower :-)

Posted 08 Apr 2013 at 6:23 pm

On the other hand, its nice to roll out of bed on a Sunday morning and be able to do two or three hours of singletrack or open road riding right from the front steps. When I lived in Honolulu about 3 miles from my job at the U, it was easy to ride to work. Getting out of town was a bit of a chore, but once you knew your way around Honolulu even the urban choices were glorious. Hope that is true for you, Andy. That is, should you choose to ride just for grins rather than for transportation.

Posted 09 Apr 2013 at 9:07 am
  6. exsocial.tk wrote:

Wonderful blog you have here but I was wanting to know if you knew of any user discussion forums that cover the same topics discussed in this article?

I’d really like to be a part of online community where I can get suggestions from other experienced people that share the same interest. If you have any recommendations, please let me know. Many thanks!

Posted 16 Apr 2013 at 4:48 pm