More Stories We Tell About Bicycling

Here is the response (click for large image):

iamtraffic_story

And here is the video:

Savvy Cyclist — Bill Edmonds from Keri Caffrey on Vimeo.

Yep. We’re a bunch of nefarious traffic cyclists out to stop progress for everyone. Because, yeah, no one would ever mislead you about bicycle infrastructure. Right?

Something New On Cherry from acline on Vimeo.

Technorati Tags: , , , , , , ,

You must be reading Streetsblog.

Posted 28 Mar 2013 at 12:41 pm

“Vehicular cycling techniques have not been tried and found difficult. They have been presumed difficult and not tried.” – P.M. Summer, paraphrasing G.K. Chesterton

Posted 28 Mar 2013 at 2:24 pm

Khal … Actually, Keri sent me the image as suggested “blog fodder.” I do check in with the various Streetsblog sites from time to time. And, apparently, every few weeks I have to take a swipe at lanes in general just because. Still waiting for someone to answer this question: What traffic problem do bicycle lanes solve? [cricket chirps]

Posted 28 Mar 2013 at 2:32 pm

What traffic problem do they solve? They help motorists keep us in our place (smirk…).

Actually, they can work in a cyclist’s favor in some limited instances. When Honolulu added bike lanes to Kalanianaole Highway in East Oahu, the paint can kept cars lined up and out of the new bike lane. During peak traffic flow**, I had clear sailing down the bike lane past several miles of stop and go traffic and could travel the 12 miles to my University of Hawaii office as fast or faster by bike (40 minutes) than by car (45-60 minutes); a side benefit was I was in incredible shape from that much riding. I suspect that if there had not been bike lanes but just wide outside lanes on “Kal Hwy”, I would have had to filter past a number of those vehicles being driven close to the right edge.

** http://www.kitv.com/Lack-Of-Manpower-Results-In-Nightmare-Morning-Commute/-/8906042/5339064/-/lqwywp/-/index.html

The main concern was when approaching intersections and curbcuts which fortunately, were infrequent since this was not the city center. I modulated my speed when approaching these intersections and proceeded with due care–especially when passing Kalani High School :-(. I don’t recall any serious problems.

So as John Allen might say, these things have to be context-sensitive.

Posted 28 Mar 2013 at 3:56 pm
  5. Robert wrote:

I agree with the statement, “they love to show photographs….” I’ll add another one, they love to throw the baby out with the bathwater.

Example – show substandard infrastructure and then use that to explain why all bike lanes are dangerous. I agree with Khal, context sensitivity is key.

It is true, however, that many bicyclists are dealing with poor design and It’s also true that classes like CS can really help folks. If you can get people to take the class.

Posted 28 Mar 2013 at 5:15 pm
  6. Max Power wrote:

Khal,
    Wondering about the traffic laws in HI. Does the MVC there criminalize passing stopped / slow motorists on the right? In the Peoples’ Democratic Republic of New Jersey, right-hooked cyclists often face citations and insurance claims against them for passing slow motorists while riding in bike lanes.
    I had firsthand experience with this when I was accused of passing on the right when I was right hooked a few years ago. Thankfully I had a video camera on my helmet, and could prove I wasn’t.

Posted 28 Mar 2013 at 9:58 pm

Hi, Max.

I have to admit that its been too many years since I lived in HI (we moved to BombTown in 2001) and I don’t recall the details of the law or how it might differ in interpretation. Bike lanes are travel lanes, so its like overtaking on a multilane highway in a rightmost lane. Shoulders are probably big question marks.

My old organization, the Hawaii Bicycling League (www.hbl.org) would be a good resource. Chad Taniguchi is the Exec Director at chad at hbl dot org. There is also a resource page.

Intersections are a legal land mine. We had a right hook collision last summer when a motorist turned right across the bike lane. After an hour of meeting with the police chief, his staff, and our public works director, we still were confused about which law trumped which because the laws were not designed for bike lanes at intersections and frankly, contradicted each other.

Posted 29 Mar 2013 at 7:43 am