SNAFU

Two days ago, I rode my bicycle in the rain — a lot of rain.

Yesterday, I walked because the temperature had dropped enough below freezing that snow and ice were expected. I don’t do snow and ice on two wheel. Call me a weenie.

Today, I started downtown at 6:50 a.m. with the mercury showing 23 degrees. No problem.

Except that I think water must have found its way into my cables. First, the gear shift seized up about a mile from home. Then the rear brake seized up. On my Redline R530 with its internal disk brakes, the rear is the power brake.

So, yeah, I  had to drag it back home and get another bicycle. It’s in the family room right now warming up and drying out. I hope that fixes it.

I arrived at the Mudhouse late only to find someone sitting in my usual spot.

Grrrrrrrr…

Odd note: When I went looking for snafu clip art I noticed many of the images are bicycle related :-)

UPDATE 130 p.m.: It’s snowing. Geez…

Technorati Tags: ,

I have friends who buy those studded Nokians. They swear by them.

Posted 31 Jan 2013 at 2:35 pm
  2. Tom Armstrong wrote:

I had cable freezing happen to me. I used compressed air to get the water out of the casings, then coated my cables with Tri-Flow (or some similar product) to help prevent water having room to occupy the inside of my casings.

Posted 31 Jan 2013 at 5:58 pm

Do not forget that the “WD” in WD40 comes from “water displacement” and I can say it is good at keeping U locks from freezing. And there’s probably some out in the garage.

Posted 31 Jan 2013 at 7:53 pm

Strangely, I’ve never had all that much trouble cycling in snow and ice. My tires occasionally slip longitudinally, but what I’ve always feared is that they’ll slip sideways and I’ll fall, but that never seems to happen. There must be some physics reason for that – I suspect it’s because there really isn’t much sideways force involved when the whole bicycle thing involves staying perfectly balanced.

Posted 01 Feb 2013 at 5:54 am

Thanks for the suggestions and observations!

Ian, ice bugs me because I have such a high center of gravity on my Mrs. Gulch bicycle ;-)

Posted 01 Feb 2013 at 6:49 am