The Perils of Texting

So how did this young lady end up impeding my way across Grand at National?

Well, she was so busy texting while driving that she over-shot the stop. She continued to text through the light and into the left turn. You can clearly see her texting in the picture.

She only looked up — long enough to give me a dirty look — when I knocked on her hood as I passed. I’ve knocked on two hoods so far today at this intersection.

And, yes, I was walking today. This blog is about that, too ;-)

Technorati Tags: , ,

All motorists should be required to watch this before they are given their driving license:

Posted 05 Dec 2012 at 12:46 pm

Did you get her license number? Might be worth a call to police?

Posted 05 Dec 2012 at 12:53 pm

Yeah. Nicely done. Having been a witness at a high speed head on crash a few years ago, those things are graphic indeed.

Posted 05 Dec 2012 at 1:01 pm
  4. Tom Armstrong wrote:

Ian, I’ve seen that video before, and I’ve heard too many people say, “That will never happen to me.” You’ve heard the expression about denial being something other than a river in Egypt, I suppose.

I tell people that if my phone rings while I’m on my bike, leave a message. If I can pull over in time to answer it, I might, but I’m as likely to not even hear it (even if it’s loud enough for me to hear…).

Posted 05 Dec 2012 at 1:49 pm

Yeah. I always pull over to answer calls (if I hear them), but I tell my wife (who’s the only one who has my cellphone number) not to call when I’m likely to be on the road.

My wife makes calls when she’s driving, but she has one of those Bluetooth things with a hands-free speakerphone. Still, I think it’s unsafe and I always tell her to pull over anyway if she’s using the phone (but she doesn’t listen to me). To be honest, I think it ought to be illegal to use any kind of phone in the car.

Posted 05 Dec 2012 at 2:02 pm

Well, I never think of these things at the time. You know, like the great come-back line you think of the next day :-)

Posted 05 Dec 2012 at 3:00 pm

The rider-coach who ran the Motorcycle Safety Foundation course that I took this past summer reminded us of how we can identify high risk riders: those motorcyclists who think crashes happen to other people. Same can be said for motorists and bicyclists. Complacency and/or arrogance are precursors to shit happening.

Posted 05 Dec 2012 at 3:59 pm

“Well, I never think of these things at the time.”

Me neither. Out of all the times I’ve seen motorists doing stupid illegal stuff, not once have I had the presence of mind to think of getting their license number. And every time, I think to myself, ‘Must remember next time’.

Posted 05 Dec 2012 at 4:06 pm

Andy and Ian,
    I actually practice getting license info and it has never translated into getting the same info when it might actually be useful so your lack of presence of mind is shared by AT LEAST one other person. OTOH, I think I now have a better understanding of how “ambush predation” works.

Posted 05 Dec 2012 at 5:42 pm

If you hadn’t been using this segregated facility, you wouldn’t have had this conflict at the intersection.

Get out there and control your lane, Andy! ; )

Posted 05 Dec 2012 at 10:23 pm

Actually, it’s a good point. I wonder… If pedestrians were not separated from the road and were expected to operate by the same rules as vehicles, road speeds would probably be much slower, traffic calming in cities would not be an issue, and heck, motorists would not feel they own the road.

The interaction between pedestrians and motorists illustrates quite well what segregation will end up doing to cyclists – marginalization and second class status.

Posted 06 Dec 2012 at 6:40 am

Robert… Har de har :-) But, yeah, I think so-called jay-waking is safer. Fewer contact points.

Posted 06 Dec 2012 at 1:16 pm