Rude, Unethical, Etc. Revisited

Yikes!

Be sure to pay close attention at 1:17 in this video.

What you’ll see and what you’ll hear ought to blow your mind. It’s stunning.

I suppose this could be a parody of clueless hipsters. I mean, how could anyone be so blind as to miss hypocrisy of this magnitude? For example, how can one edit into a video showing lane-splitting a voice-over stating some motorists are arrogant and rude? And did you catch the guy running the red light?

In case you’ve been confused about what rude and unethical behavior by bicyclists actually looks like, this is it.

The damage this does to bicycle advocacy:

1. Motorists can associate such behavior with all bicyclists.
  2. Motorists can associate such behavior with traffic bicycling.
  3. It makes bicycling look far more dangerous that it actually is.

Technorati Tags: , ,

1. Brian wrote:

The embedded video didn’t work for me, but here’s a link to the Vimeo page.

Posted 16 Nov 2012 at 2:01 pm

Brian … Thanks for the heads-up re: video. What browser are you using?

Posted 16 Nov 2012 at 2:28 pm
  3. Brian wrote:

Chrome.

Posted 16 Nov 2012 at 2:31 pm

Thanks for the link. Andy forgot to include one so I just got the big white space. I also noticed the first complainer run a red light just before 40 seconds in to the video.

Posted 16 Nov 2012 at 6:01 pm

I put in my 10 cents on the Vimeo page. Somehow I think it will be ignored.

Posted 16 Nov 2012 at 6:46 pm

I missed the guy running the red light – painful though it is, I’ll have to watch that over again.

Posted 16 Nov 2012 at 6:57 pm

I half expect my comments to be removed by the video’s owner.

Posted 16 Nov 2012 at 7:12 pm

At 1:44 it looks like the second cyclist is also running a red light. Although you can’t actually see the light to be sure, all the evidence points to it being red – cars stopped in the cyclist’s lane, a car from the side street moving into the road, the pedestrian light on red.

Posted 16 Nov 2012 at 7:20 pm

Wow, that was one stale red light.
    @1.44 it looks like he’s making a left turn on red to me.

The thing I wonder is: how much better would these people’s behavior be if they were behind the wheel of a car or on a motorcycle? I tend to believe that these kids would be bad actors regardless of what they were driving, so better to have them on bikes where it’s hard for them to kill other people than behind the wheel of a car where it’s rather easy to harm people.

Posted 16 Nov 2012 at 9:57 pm

Personally, having had a cyclist miss me by an inch when I was crossing a road at a marked crosswalk with a walk light, I’d rather they were walking. Cyclists don’t kill people very often, but a 200lb object hitting a pedestrian at 30mph can kill that pedestrian quite easily.

Posted 16 Nov 2012 at 10:54 pm

I assumed from the constant interplay of reckless bicycling and criticizing motorists, that the video was supposed to be satire.

Posted 17 Nov 2012 at 8:02 am

Regarding comment #10 from Ian, has anyone been following the case of the San Francisco rider who was being prosecuted on a homicide charge for running a red light and killing a pedestrian?

Posted 17 Nov 2012 at 8:06 am

The video does seem to be falling afoul of ‘Poe’s law’ or ‘Mother Night’ syndrome. I got an email notifying me that the video’s owner had responded to my points, but I haven’t got the nerve up to revisit the page – I need to keep my blood pressure down, especially after my daughter’s near miss on the road yesterday. Maybe I’ll take a peek later.

Posted 17 Nov 2012 at 9:23 am
  14. Kevin Love wrote:

The problem with Orlando is that it really is America’s most dangerous city. It is #1 on the “top 10″ list of Transportation for America’s most dangerous cities. See:

Although T4A focuses upon pedestrians, I’ve been to Orlando. Rest assured it fully deserves its description.

In particular, cyclists are a tiny minority that is viciously persecuted. It is like in the “Jim Crow” era (which I am old enough to remember) with cyclists today being treated like black people were treated then.

In particular, motorists know full well that they can kill a cyclist with impunity. If they run down and kill a cyclist there will be either zero legal consequences or else the mildest of slaps on the wrist. Just like lynching a black man during the Jim Crow era.

The same applies for harassment of cyclists, uttering death threats against cyclists and threating cyclists with a lethal weapon such as their cars and trucks.

Posted 17 Nov 2012 at 6:54 pm

“…cyclists are a tiny minority that is viciously persecuted.

…With my own two ears I have heard motorists talking about “uppity cyclists” using the exact same language that I remember hearing about “uppity niggers.”

…Small wonder that people have zero respect for a legal system that has zero respect for them. Or that they should engage in dangerous behaviour when they are subject to being violently killed at every turn.”

None of these points presents an argument for breaking the law. In fact, these are arguments for being all the more careful to respect laws such as those governing red lights, which treat cyclists and motorists equally. No one ever got more respect from the general public by breaking equitable laws.

If motorists are of the opinion that cyclists are ‘uppity’, breaking the law is not likely to make them change their tune, now is it?

If a citizen of Silver Spring calls me names, it does not make me justified in robbing the local Bank of America. Nor will robbing the bank endear me to the local population.

Posted 17 Nov 2012 at 9:37 pm
  16. Laura wrote:

Wow? Orlando cyclists are viciously persecuted? News to me. Conditions aren’t great in the Greater Orlando Metro Area. I’d like to point out that T4A’s report addressed the entire region and as far as cyclists are concerned, they’re faring much better than pedestrians. As far as downtown Orlando goes (a much smaller area of the region – 250K population compared to 2.5million in the region covering 3 counties and 2500 sq miles), it’s pretty bike and ped friendly.

Frankly, the cyclists in this video are a menace and make everyone else look bad. A Jimmy John’s delivery driver nearly took me out one day as I was exiting from a restaurant onto a sidewalk. I really have nothing but disdain for most of them.

Posted 19 Nov 2012 at 9:29 pm
  17. Ed W wrote:

“(Insert name of city here) is the worst place for cycling in America! The techniques you talk about might work where you live, but they’ll never work here!”

That kind of thinking becomes the justification for a host of dangerous behaviors, some of them so egregious they make an experienced traffic cyclist cringe.

Posted 20 Nov 2012 at 7:46 pm