More New Bicycle Lanes

The following video shows a short section of new bicycle lane on S. Jefferson just north of Battlefield Rd. There are lanes on both sides and a bit farther to the south — exactly like the short segment you’ll see in the video. This segment of Jefferson is outside the urban core in the south-central suburban area of Springfield.

I do not understand what traffic problem the lane solves. It appears to have been added merely because Jefferson north of Battlefield is wide enough to allow it. Perhaps you’ll see something in the video that explains it. All I’m able to see is exactly what I experienced — a smooth, easy, safe ride on Jefferson without the need of a lane.

A few notes on the video:

• Camera: GoPro Hero shooting 720p HD
  • Bicycle: Kona “Bike” (because it’s quieter than my Redline)
  • Time: Approx. 9:30 a.m. Wed. 8 August
  • Travel direction: north
  • Travel speed: 15 mph or less

Technorati Tags: , , , ,

We had another crash on a bike laned road today. Left cross. Motorist probably looking for oncoming cars, and oncoming bike lane invisible. I’m increasingly convinced these things suck.

Posted 08 Aug 2012 at 9:34 pm
  2. Gary Cziko wrote:

The roadway section with the bike lane looks wider than the section without.

How does the addition of the bike lane (which looks more like a shoulder to me because of lack of bike lane signs and only one bike lane pavement marking) change how you ride on this road? Center lane to curb looks to be at least 15 ft which is wide enough to share with cars.

Posted 08 Aug 2012 at 9:57 pm
  3. Gary Cziko wrote:

I meant “center line to curb looks to be at least 15 ft . . .”

Posted 08 Aug 2012 at 9:58 pm

Khal… Don’t say that too loudly or you’ll be thought a crank ;-)

Posted 08 Aug 2012 at 9:59 pm

Posted 08 Aug 2012 at 11:09 pm

Gary… The street is wider in the section with the lane. I also assume the city isn’t finished with the markings because of the lack of sharrows at the intersections.

I’m only riding in it for the video. Otherwise, I avoid streets with bicycle lanes.

Posted 09 Aug 2012 at 7:08 am