Use Lights In Low Light

The headline is good advice (it’s also the law). Anyway, here’s a video of my trip downtown yesterday morning for coffee and a bagel:

UPDATE: Check out the analysis of rear lighting by Steve at DFW, Point to Point.

Technorati Tags: , , ,

Actually, if Andy were wearing his “precise journalist hat,” he might also note that the law most places requires only a headlight, with either a reflector or red light needed for the rear. I run with both reflector AND light in the back for good reasons. Thanks for the post idea, Andy!

Posted 02 Feb 2012 at 5:36 pm

Steve… You are correct! That is what the law states in MO. Always happy to act the Muse ;-)

Posted 02 Feb 2012 at 7:40 pm

State law in Washington is headlight and a reflector or taillight.

A couple of years back I looked into getting the law changed to ditch the rear reflector and go with a taillight as reflectors don’t work very well and 99% of the people have tail lights anyway. There wasn’t any mojo behind the idea of changing the law and I dropped the idea. Everyone figured, correctly, it didn’t really matter as everyone’s using taillights anyway.

I use a “real” head and taillight and a one of the little blinky lights on the back of my seat post as well.

Posted 02 Feb 2012 at 8:58 pm

Michael. Actually, reflectors in the rear DO work very well and have the major advantage of not pooping out with you being unaware that the rear light is dead. In front, reflectors simply are mostly useless and can be positively dangerous.

Posted 03 Feb 2012 at 5:53 am
  5. MamaVee wrote:

am I the only one thinking- that is way too early for a coffee and bagel?

Posted 03 Feb 2012 at 2:11 pm

Post made, entitled “Back End Andy Thanks.” Available via the website link.

I think the bottom two photos address Michael’s thoughts about reflectors not working very well. They worked VERY well. What’s more, my 40 year old reflector seems more satisfactory than ever after taking those shots. While amber is undeniably brighter than red, I think the typical motorist would see either BLOCKS away, so “the Johns” and “the High vis” crowd are both a little excessive, at least based on test data.

PS: Your video links STILL don’t work via iOS, but work fine via the ancient Microsoft stuff on a big computer…

Posted 04 Feb 2012 at 6:45 pm
  7. danc wrote:

Re: video links still don’t work via iOS.

Posted 05 Feb 2012 at 6:43 am