Walking the Diverging Diamond

Take a look at this video of pedestrian accommodations on the diverging diamond at I-44 and Kansas Expressway.

Hmmmmm…

Technorati Tags: , ,

I think that this was a much better design for pedestrians than what was there previously.

Posted 04 Aug 2011 at 8:27 am
  2. carfreepvd wrote:

I like how he pauses in the middle of the bridge to admire the “beautiful view looking out over I-44.” Not my idea of a beautiful view, but maybe it is for a traffic designer.

On a serious note, the intersection was a little weird the first time I drove through it, but so much better than it used to be.

It’s interesting to note the percentage of vehicles that are SUVs or light trucks. Much higher percentage than you see here in the northeast.

Posted 04 Aug 2011 at 10:22 am
  3. Randy wrote:

Is there a corresponding video showing a bicyclists-eye view of the DDI?

Posted 04 Aug 2011 at 3:44 pm

Robert… Agreed. But it suffers from the same problem I bring up in my earlier post today: How do you get to it as a pedestrian?

carfree… I love it as a driver. And I’m planning to take my first bicycle ride through it soon. I expect it to be a good ride, too.

Posted 04 Aug 2011 at 3:45 pm

Randy… I’m planning just such a video of National Ave. to the new DD.

Posted 04 Aug 2011 at 3:46 pm

Ugh… While that seems to be workable, there’s no way to call that sort of thing bike or ped friendly.

Posted 04 Aug 2011 at 3:47 pm
  7. Robert wrote:

Andy,

I see, and have seen, many pedestrians using that area of kansas Expressway.

While they were building that bridge, my dad and I sat in traffic long enough to watch a pedestrian (dressed for work at mcds) pass us and walk across the street between lights to get to work.

True, there is no sidewalk, but you have to start somewhere.

Posted 04 Aug 2011 at 7:11 pm

Hmm, the idea of freeway overpass posts never occurred to me before. Actually, my only freeway underpass post is unlikely to make my top ten list, so maybe I will forget the idea. However, Andy did show inspiration with the video! Traffic, done right, SHOULD be boring, or at least not exciting. Boring brings up images of bored and distracted drivers so a touch of challenge can be a good thing.

Posted 04 Aug 2011 at 9:28 pm

Steve… Clarification. The video was made by someone else. No clue who.

Robert… Agreed again. I haven’t actually criticized anything yet :-)

Michael… re: friendliness Agreed. But I’m sure it meets “standards.”

Robert… OK, I was just critical ;-)

Posted 05 Aug 2011 at 6:20 am