Silly Season II: The Children Return!

OK, yeah, I can be a bit insufferable about the whole students-ride-like-children thing. It’s especially insulting because they are not children. I’ve always been the kind of professor who refuses to refer to them as “kids” because, well, they are adults. So I guess that’s the crux of the problem for me. They are adults. I want them to think and study as adults should. I want them to ride bicycles as adults should.

Call me crazy.

Students arrived yesterday. Today the urban core is crawling with out-of-town parents on the road (a particularly aggravating annual hazard) and students walking and riding bicycles as if they are on a deserted stretch of suburban wasteland, i.e. oblivious to everything.

So here’s what I’ve decided: After I teach the women’s CyclingSavvy class (30 Sept. – 1 Oct. Details coming soon!), I am going to put together a college student class.

Even though I’m grousing a bit, this is one of the most exciting weekends of the year for me. I’m always glad to get back to teaching, and I’m always glad to see the students return. Things seem “normal” again :)

Technorati Tags: , , ,

One of the first things that you are going to learn about bicycle education…….they are almost all “womens only courses.” Men, for the most part, refuse to attend a bicycle education course.

Courses filled with people who hope to become instructors do not count.

Posted 20 Aug 2011 at 1:45 pm

Andy, I’d be happy if a significant minority of adults rode like adults.

Posted 20 Aug 2011 at 1:47 pm

I thought most of our students would be women, but it turns out we’ve actually had more male students. Some with high mileage and years of experience (who were not looking to become instructors). They’ve all come away saying they learned a lot.

Posted 20 Aug 2011 at 4:32 pm

Yep. I recall seeing the same mindless riding at the U of Hawaii. Good luck with the class, Andy.

Posted 20 Aug 2011 at 4:37 pm

I decided to teach a women’s class first because a buddy of mine suggested it and said he knew a bunch of women who would take it :-) We’ll see how it goes. We have two signed up now (my wife and kid). I expect to begin publicizing the middle of next week.

Posted 20 Aug 2011 at 5:55 pm
  6. Robert wrote:

Keri,

Ive asked this several times but you never want to spill the beans. How many people have you put through your course in orlando in the past year?

Posted 20 Aug 2011 at 11:22 pm

Robert, I have no compelling interest to provide data to you here. If you have an interest in the CyclingSavvy program, you have both Mighk’s and my contact information to send a professional inquiry.

Posted 22 Aug 2011 at 7:04 am
  8. Andrew L wrote:

Hey Andy,

Strange things how I ended up here. You were my advisor for my three semesters at MSU before transferring to MU. I took your beginning level J class too. Anyway, I don’t know how I started reading this, but I find it quite interesting.

I haven’t switched to a bike yet, but you’re working on me. However, the other day I was driving in Columbia on a normally busy street with two lanes in each direction that had (horror!) a bike lane. Well, there was someone using this bike lane, and I can honestly say I normally would have passed them like they were a regular vehicle because they were in “their” lane. Instead, I remembered your blog and moved over to give them plenty of space.
    Basically this long-winded comment is to tell you that you have influenced at least one person in their driving habits around bicyclists. Maybe you’ll even get me switched over to a bike..

Posted 22 Aug 2011 at 9:03 am
  9. Robert wrote:

Keri,

I just thought it might help put many of the things that you share here in context.

For example, did you hold two classes that were mostly men or fifty-two classes?

Didn’t mean to pry.

Posted 22 Aug 2011 at 9:24 am
  10. Dave wrote:

Have they at least gotten to the point where bicycles are in the bike lanes on campus while pedestrians aren’t?

Posted 22 Aug 2011 at 8:08 pm

Dave… hahahahahaha! ahem… hahahahaha! You’re very funny :-) No, they all ride and walk wherever they damn well please.

Posted 23 Aug 2011 at 8:54 am