We’re Havin’ A Heat Wave

Gonna be hot this weekend.

It’s hot now.

Can’t let that stop you from cycling.

OK, so when it’s really hot you’re going to sweat doing just about anything — that includes walking to your car and waiting for the air conditioner to kick in.

But I have always maintained, and still do, that it is not at all necessary to sweat (much) riding a bicycle. I’m not going to claim I didn’t sweat today. I’m claiming — with a straight face and in all seriousness — that I did not sweat much. Two things make that possible. First, good equipment. Take a look.

Do you see the equipment?

Or, rather: How do you like my cool bicycling shirt? It’s actually a regular cotton shirt. Cotton and that nylon made to look/feel like cotton are great choices for riding in hot weather because these fabrics keep you cooler, which then leads to the cool kind of cool :-) The real plus is these fabrics are used to make regular clothes, which double as my cycling clothes because I do not own, nor do I wish to wear, “real” cycling clothes.

The other key to cool: Slow down. It ain’t a race out there (unless of course you are racing in which case sweat is cool).

Technorati Tags: , , ,

If y’all up in Missouri think it is hot, remember that DFW has only had 2 days in all of June where the high was under 95 and even those were over 90. Seven consecutive days over 100 is unusual even for us in June. Looks like it’ll be a hot one so listen to Dr Andy.

One key that Andy didn’t mention that he either knows or will before long – ride every day and you’ll quickly become acclimated. Even our hottest day has been quite pleasant on my bike.

HOWEVER, I suggest that you get your hair cut shorter than the photo. Shorter hair dries quicker. Long hair, for cyclists, is better in winter. ;-)

Posted 30 Jun 2011 at 5:24 pm
  2. Chandra wrote:

Andy,
    It is bad here, at least for non-texanized folks like me.

“It ain’t a race out there ” — Amen to that!

Peace :)

Posted 30 Jun 2011 at 6:10 pm

Steve… I lived in Texas 2 years. Never got used to the heat. Of course, I arrived just a couple months before the great heat wave of 1980 when the entire state burned to a crisp. Bad for Texas. Great for my photojournalism career :-)

Chandra… Speed. A problem on sooooo many levels :-)

Posted 30 Jun 2011 at 8:53 pm

I feel the need. The need for speed! If I wanted to take forever to get places, walking would suffice. If I wanted to boil, I could drive and cook until the AC kicked in. Bikes are the transportational equivalent of “momma bear” – “just right.”

Andy, tell me you worked at MSU the 2 years you lived in Texas. Even if it isn’t true! Looking at NOAA records, you have my sympathy for being in Texas in 1980. Fortunately, at that time, I was in Southern California.

BTW, HH100 is August 27 this year. MSU is sure to make a good showing – as usual.

Posted 30 Jun 2011 at 10:10 pm

Steve… 1980 was a wild year. I took my most famous picture that summer — AP moved it world wide. It was a goofy shot of lifeguards heaving a 400-pound block of ice into a swimming pool so kids could play on it. The water temp had become uncomfortably hot. That thing even ran in Russia :-)

I’ll catch HH100 in the online highlights ;-)

Posted 01 Jul 2011 at 5:00 am
  6. Joyce wrote:

Looks similar to the shirts we wore on a recreational tandem ride yesterday– our (unplanned) version of matching tandem outfits is white shirts and khakis. My husband, talking to a spandex-prone cycling friend, said that we wear “Dutch-style” cycling clothes. :-)

Posted 03 Jul 2011 at 4:50 pm