Good Advice Without The Fear

Here’s a list of safety tips I like a lot better than the one I wrote about yesterday.

I would never claim, by the way, that bicycling is without danger. Just getting out of bed in the morning puts you in danger because danger is all around us. It’s how effectively we mitigate danger though our choices/actions/attitutes that largely creates a situation of danger versus relative safety.

I claim that bicycling is not dangerous. I’ve seen no statistics, nor heard any arguments, that convince me otherwise. I’ve experienced nothing on the streets that convinces me otherwise. I’ve seen how assertive, lawful bicycle driving mitigates the most common crashes and conflicts.

If you want to experience bicycling as a dangerous activity, go ride like an oblivious child.

What I like about the list of tips linked above: The presentation of them does not follow from premises of fear or inferiority.

While we’re at it, here’s another good list of safety tips.

Technorati Tags: , ,

1. Robert wrote:

Andy,

What are your plans for your instructor credentials? I’m the worlds biggest fan of bicycle education and have taught hundreds of people the LAB’s TS101 course. I know that it works and works quite well.

The problem is that in order to create large changes you will need to teach this to literally thousands of people in Springfield.

Whats the plan for doing that?

I think that’s a great conversation to have. It’s one that we constantly have in Columbia.

Posted 09 Jun 2011 at 12:14 pm
  2. Robert wrote:

BTW. Scheduling that training with the Springfield PD for late July or the first week in August.

Posted 09 Jun 2011 at 12:15 pm

Robert… Short answer: I don’t know yet. But I open to suggestions and help.

Posted 09 Jun 2011 at 12:17 pm

I would help but I do not know the answer!

: )

That’s the rub against VC, bicycle education, etc. It certainly works, but it’s hard to get anymore than just a tiny portion of the population to take a course, no matter the length.

We had constant radio and print ads in Columbia for years and likely managed about 1/2 of 1% of the population to take it. Trouble is, I’d wager thats a higher % than other part of the nation.

As you, Coy, Keri and others know…..when you do reach people it’s completely life changing for them.

I bet there are unique marketing ideas that would work, I just haven’t seen any generate huge numbers yet.

Posted 09 Jun 2011 at 10:27 pm
  5. acline wrote:

Robert… I’m thinking about trying to put something together for college students. That seems like a good target audience because 1) they are a majority of bicyclists much of the year, and 2) they would tend to influence to culture — especially for those slightly younger.

Now, how to market to them…

Posted 10 Jun 2011 at 8:39 am

Make it a requirement to pass your course!

: )

Posted 10 Jun 2011 at 9:02 am

i.e. advocacy through fear :-)

Posted 10 Jun 2011 at 10:16 am