The Streets of NYC

Don’t turn the sound up too much. The beeped language will blow your ears out.

What accounts for this? Are these simply two loathsome, offensive brutes who are unable to control themselves? What role does traffic play in this?

Technorati Tags: , , ,

I vote ” two loathesome, offesive brutes” but I would have added an “n” & tweaked the “l” word a little. Traffic had little to do with it other than to facilitate a getaway.

Lesson learned – always be the first one to tell your story to the police…

Posted 06 Oct 2009 at 5:50 pm
  2. Pam wrote:

They are both idiots. Geez guys, someone has to be the bigger person and walk away.

Posted 06 Oct 2009 at 8:03 pm

What Pam said.
    There’s no good outcome to fighting with a bullying motorist.

Although, I do understand how it feels to hit your limit with being harassed. A rash of it will get my Irish up and it takes supreme self control not to go off on the one-too-many.

Posted 06 Oct 2009 at 9:13 pm
  4. Bond, James wrote:

gentlemen

Posted 06 Oct 2009 at 10:59 pm
  5. rodney wrote:

A couple of New York’s “finest” indeed. Quite a few of my coworkers are from the New York area. Many exhibit the “F” you before you “F” me mentality.

Bottom line, these two are a eyesore to humankind.

Posted 06 Oct 2009 at 11:39 pm

The cabs in Chicago drive absolutely as fast as they possibly can. The only thing that controls their speed is other traffic. At night, when they are basically the only cars on the road, you will see them driving 50-60 mph down downtown streets between stop lights.

In their business, time really is money and that can make the streets an unpleasant place for anyone not surrounded by 3500 pounds of steel.

Posted 07 Oct 2009 at 10:28 am

Steve…. Yikes! Two bad typos. Thanks for the edit!

Posted 07 Oct 2009 at 12:55 pm
  8. Lovely Bicycle! wrote:

> Are these simply two loathsome, offensive brutes
    > who are unable to control themselves?

My feeling is yes, and the vehicular setting was just an excuse to express these characteristics. Had these people met under other circumstances, we would have seen the same result but over a different issue.

Posted 07 Oct 2009 at 2:59 pm

So what was the “Andy” message intended to convey?

Posted 07 Oct 2009 at 8:53 pm

Steve… I’m liking the idea that traffic played a role in allowing this sad situation to happen. Not a cause. But certainly a contributing factor. So it’s not as simple as the dichotomy I set up. Dichotomies are great rhetorical devices :-)

Posted 08 Oct 2009 at 8:54 am
  11. Alexander wrote:

I think they’re regular people caught at the wrong moment.

The kind of traffic in NYC is brutal and very stressful. I know Houston traffic happens bumper to bumper at 80 miles per hour and there are easily more than five major accidents on my commute route a week, sometimes in the same day… often fatal.

When you’re under this kind of enormous stress for hours a day, it’s easy to snap. While I haven’t carried it to this level, you can become incredibly angry with someone who pulls into your lane, bullies you or otherwise threatens your life or does something “stupid” when you’re already up on your nerves trying to avoid an accident with people on phones, people putting on make-up, people trying to race and cut between bumper-bumper traffic. I go home and some nights go straight to bed because of my commute. Some people don’t have the luxury and freedom to pace themselves like I do (I have no kids or other dependents).

I think this speaks to a more general problem in our culture, we live a toxic stressful lifestyle where we’re always expected to be on guard and ready to be hired, run over, poisoned, shot, or tricked. Violence and ill-thought out action seem kind of inevitable when we set people up to fail in our society.

Just my two cents, speaking as some caught in this kind of incredible traffic.

Posted 08 Oct 2009 at 10:11 am
  12. Alexander wrote:

…oppps that should have been “on guard to be fired…” I’m sure many people are also on guard to be hired too these days…

Posted 08 Oct 2009 at 10:13 am

Alex… This is exactly what I mean re: “traffic played a role.”

Posted 08 Oct 2009 at 10:55 am

Yeah, I think bad behavior is often a product of cumulative frustration. Traffic in most places is nothing if not an exercise in cumulative frustration.

Posted 08 Oct 2009 at 12:45 pm