More Deep Thoughts

The one year anniversary of this blog has come and gone by almost a whole month. I note it only now because something occurred to me while riding downtown today for a cup of coffee: I managed to get all the way there without thinking about bicycle advocacy.

You see, that’s the problem with writing a blog such as this one and serving on the Ozark Greenways START committee. Every time I get on a bicycle I’m thinking about riding in very particular ways. That’s OK. I don’t mind it. I’m a civic-minded person who wants to make things better. And I think making Springfield more bicycle-friendly would be a great quality-of-life improvement for me, my family, and my neighbors. I’m out there acting “as if.” I’m making quality decisions for myself – and telling you about them.

Sometimes, however, its nice to just let that go — like I let the anniversary go.

Just ride (like you mean it) and enjoy it.

Technorati Tags: , ,

1. Tracy Wilkins wrote:

“Just ride (like you mean it) and enjoy it.”

Isn’t that the point anyway?

Posted 08 Sep 2009 at 1:07 pm

Yes, unless we forget :-)

Posted 08 Sep 2009 at 1:21 pm

Happy Anniversary… and congratulations on creating this oasis of critical thinking :-)

I tend to be in that same mindset everywhere I go as well. Every book I read (regardless of topic) triggers ideas for advocacy. Every street and facility gets a critical observation. I’m acutely aware of road user behaviors, how they affect us, what they’re linked to, how to describe them, what might change them…

Yeah, it feels good those rare moments when I just forget about that… on my bike and feeling the breeze.

I had the thought not long ago… what would it be like if choosing a bike for transportation and coexisting on any road was so normal that advocacy barely ever crossed my mind. I imagine a world without inattentive drivers or pointless incivility, where the average person could feel comfortable and welcome to use the commons to go wherever he/she wanted by bicycle.

Oh yeah, that’s why…

Posted 08 Sep 2009 at 1:50 pm
  4. Abhishek wrote:

it does help to get on a bicycle and enjoy the journey sometimes.

Posted 08 Sep 2009 at 2:06 pm

I try to leave most of my bicycle intellectual stuff to after the ride. During the ride, I focus on making the turns, on the traffic, and on the sights, sounds, and smells. In the boring spots, I think about blog topics. Culture is one potential topic. Andy needs to pick a route with less traffic lights and a beautiful sunset, though he is, of course, correct in every particular.

Thanks for the many thought-provoking posts.

Posted 08 Sep 2009 at 2:21 pm
  6. A.J. wrote:

When I read the title “Deep Thoughts” I was halfway hoping for something to the tune of: “I was riding the other day and it hit me. I should have avoided that tree branch.”

In all seriousness, keep up the great work Dr. Cline!

Posted 09 Sep 2009 at 1:47 pm
  7. Andrew Elkins wrote:

I usually get caught up in this as well. It’s the days that I wake up and just ride, with no destination, that I’m able to just let go and enjoy the ride.

Posted 10 Sep 2009 at 9:50 am