Multi-Modal Dreams

My Brompton arrived today.

It’s nearly 100 degrees today and humid. So for most of the two hours that it’s been here I’ve been inside getting used to the fold and reading the manual.

The fold is very easy and very fast. Two tries and I’m a pro. Anyone would be :-)

I took it out for a quick spin. Smooth. Nice.

First tour of duty: A bus trip to Kansas City to check out some of the proposed bicycle routes. I’ll also be doing some visiting and networking.

Technorati Tags: , ,

1. Kevin Love wrote:

No chain guard. Perhaps that’s one of the compromises necessary to get a folding bicycle, but I really don’t like getting dirty.

Posted 23 Jun 2009 at 4:58 pm
  2. Kevin Love wrote:

I just realized that I started by writing something negative. Not nice.

So I’ll try to make up for it by writing that I believe that folding bicycles have a great role as commuter bicycles. Our local regional rail system doesn’t allow conventional bicycles in the peak direction during peak hours, but folding bikes are always welcome.

Posted 23 Jun 2009 at 5:01 pm

Kevin… No guard — just a pants-protecting ring. I’m looking forward to my first multi-modal test. Hmmmm… I should change the headline to “multi-modal.” :-)

Posted 23 Jun 2009 at 5:17 pm
  4. Bond, James wrote:

pretty aggressive seat/handle bar drop.

Posted 23 Jun 2009 at 11:07 pm

James… The riding position is about like a hybrid mountain bike.

Posted 24 Jun 2009 at 5:01 am
  6. Abhishek wrote:

Congratulations Andy. Go multi-modal!

I am also a proud owner of a used folding bike made by B. C. America out of Allentown PA. It is no way as smooth as a new Brompton and probably does not fold as small. It has a chain guard, fenders and a book rack. The handle bar is stuck and won’t colapse. For $20, you can’t ask for more :)

Posted 24 Jun 2009 at 7:56 am
  7. Jack wrote:

That’s as handy as a pocket on a shirt.

Posted 24 Jun 2009 at 8:41 am

Oh and I’m curious about your bus trip. Are you taking greyhound?

Thats enough to make anyone a HUGE fan of SOV trips! : )

Nice bike….you deserve it.

Posted 24 Jun 2009 at 8:42 am

Robert… Yes, Greyhound. And, yes, bus travel leaves a bit to be desired. What we really need is train service from here to KC and St. Louis.

Shek… But you see — that $20 folder will only lead to a more expensive one. It’s like drugs!!! :-)

Posted 24 Jun 2009 at 8:48 am
  10. Abhishek wrote:

Andy, I know that already. :)

Posted 24 Jun 2009 at 9:17 am

I ride megabus about every two weeks to chicago and back.

Its great! It costs me about 16-20 dollars round trip from Columbia, takes only 8 hours (about the same as driving) and the bus is full of clean, respectful people.

I’m not sure why it is so much “higher class” than greyhound considering its cheaper but it is. You can only book on the internet and that might have something to do with it.

The beauty is that it leaves about 2 blocks from my apartment in Columbia and arrives about 1 block from my apartment in Chicago! Luck or good planning? : )

Posted 24 Jun 2009 at 10:37 am

Robert… I’ve never head of megabus. I’ll look into it. Thanks for the tip.

UPDATE: No service to Springfield :-(

Posted 24 Jun 2009 at 10:52 am
  13. WestfieldWanderer wrote:

Brompton Bicycles. Every home should have one. Or more.
    Here’s mine:

Posted 24 Jun 2009 at 11:48 am

Yes megabus wisely only choose the most successful routes.

Its almost always full and gets about 450-600 passenger miles per gallon.

That means i’m really only using about 1 gallon of diesel to get me to Chicago and back.

Posted 24 Jun 2009 at 12:22 pm

Robert… I’ll bet they could make Springfield work, too. I would ride a train regularly. Or a nice bus. I’ll ride the odd bus or the short bus if that’s all there is :-)

Actually, for my trip to FL this winter, I could rent a car to Columbia, bus to Chicago, and train to Miami. Was thinking I’d rent a car to St. Louis and train to Miami. Hmmmmm…

Posted 24 Jun 2009 at 2:15 pm
  16. John B. wrote:

So Andy, when are you heading to KC? That’s not too far from Wichita, and my in-laws live in Topeka . . . when you get a chance, drop me a line re your schedule.

Posted 28 Jun 2009 at 11:30 am