Pedal to the Metal

Hoo-Yah! We Americans love our cars, baby! And we love to drive fast! Screw the freaking speed limits! This is the USA! USA! USA!

You know what happens if you drive over the speed limit in Springfield, Missouri? — Gotta love real America! — The city will raise the speed limits to fit the speed drivers want to go! Oh, yeah!

Why? Because the roads belong to cars! The rest of you wimps who walk and ride bicycles best clear off the streets. You’re not welcome. We’re going faster, so keep your pets and children inside where they belong.

Real Americans drive cars — fast and alone! And we LOVE danger!

Hey! Middle-east oil producers! Start pumping, baby! We need more.

UPDATE: OMG! We don’t want to end up like these people!

Technorati Tags: , , , ,

1. Abhishek wrote:

This is one of the more drastic and stupid changes in response to dipping oil prices. Why not we just use more oil so the prices can go back up. Not that I care because I sold my car but it will hurt my job and commodity prices again. I would like to know how many Americans really know how oil prices are set and what OPEC does!

I have seen immediate changes in driving habits of trucks in this side of Georgia. Trucks were hypermiling when gas was over $4 a gal. Now they cant help but speed at every chance they get.

Posted 06 Nov 2008 at 10:28 am

Shek… Man, this is just ridiculous. And hereabouts it’s just seen as plain ol’ common sense.

Posted 06 Nov 2008 at 12:18 pm
  3. pam wrote:

That’s the craziest thing I’ve heard. Idiots!

Posted 06 Nov 2008 at 4:41 pm

The roads are over-run with a culture of adults who have the foresight and judgment of 12-year-olds and we’re letting them decide the speed limit. Brilliant, huh?

Feel better, the stupidity is not unique to your town. It’s the 85th Percentile rule … which doesn’t take into account any road users other than motorists.

BTW, there are lots of other ways transportation officials coddle excessive speed. And then, of course, they have to come back and build all kinds of street furniture to slow the speed-conditioned drivers when they enter a residential area. We cyclists get screwed on both ends of that deal.

Posted 06 Nov 2008 at 11:04 pm
  5. David Hembrow wrote:

This is truly amazing. I’ve linked back to your post from my article.

Posted 07 Nov 2008 at 1:17 am
  6. Nick wrote:

How very strange. I can quite understand that y’ll don’t want to start looking like us odd people on the other side of the Atlantic puddle. Good luck to you all; I’ll watch your progress with interest.

Posted 08 Nov 2008 at 8:39 am

Nick… We need all the luck we can get. Changing this culture ain’t gonna be easy.

Posted 08 Nov 2008 at 9:45 am